Almost every aspect of our day to day lives is now dependent on our access to electricity.
And when it comes to household electrics, your safety is paramount.
Flickering lights, frequently blown fuses, and sparking or damaged appliances are all indications of electrical problems on your home circuit.
- FREQUENT ELECTRICAL SURGES
Lightning strikes, damage to power lines, faulty appliances and bad electrical wiring may cause electrical surges.
While a surge commonly lasts a microsecond, frequent surges may damage electrical components connected to your home, degrading their life expectancy significantly.
If your home experiences frequent electrical surges, the fault may be found with an electrical device connected to the home grid or the wiring itself. Remove devices or powerboards from the outlet to see if this prevents the surges. If this does not resolve the issue protect your home and contact a professional electrician.
- CIRCUIT BREAKER TRIPPING FREQUENTLY
Circuit breakers most commonly trip as a result of an overloaded – when the demand on the circuit is greater than its intended capacity.
When too many appliances or light fixtures are operating at the same time, the internal sensing mechanism in the circuit breaker heats up, and the breaker “trips,” usually by means of a spring-loaded component within the breaker.
Always turn off all appliances that are connected to the tripped circuit. Then spread your electrical needs around – don’t overburden a single circuit. Share the load and avoid connecting too many devices to one circuit.
In the event that the circuit breaker continues to trip contact a professional electrician to have the circuit rewired to meet your demand requirements.
- LIGHT BULBS BURNING OUT TOO OFTEN
Frustrated at having to continually replace light bulbs well before their life expectancy promise?
If your light bulbs burn out too often, look for the common causes:
- If the supply voltage to your home is too great, bulbs will generally burn brighter and burn out much faster.
- Poor wiring on your circults, a shorted fixture cord or a damaged plug.
- Insulation too close to the light fitting, which causes overheating of the fixture.
WHERE TO NEXT?
If electrical problems are ongoing around your home, you should consider contacting a electrician. Safety around the home is paramount, so don’t leave anything to chance.